+201001501509 info@deluxetoursegypt.com

Al Darb El Ahmar Touristic Route

0
Price
From$48
Price
From$48
Full Name*
Email Address*
Your Enquiry*
* I agree with Terms of Service and Privacy Statement.
Please agree to all the terms and conditions before proceeding to the next step
Save To Wish List

Adding item to wishlist requires an account

57

Why Book With Us?

  • No-hassle best price guarantee
  • Customer care available 24/7
  • Hand-picked Tours & Activities
  • Free Travel Insureance

Get a Question?

Do not hesitage to give us a call. We are an expert team and we are happy to talk to you.

00201001501509

info@deluxetoursegypt.com

Egypt Travel guide by Deluxe Tours Egypt
4 hours
Availability : Daily
Al Darb Al Ahmar monuments
Tour Details

Take a tour down a historic lane to see mesmerizing Islamic monuments in Cairo covering Fatimid, Ayyubid and Mamluk eras. During your tour that will start from Al Azhar Park you will see mosques, schools, complexes and ancient handicraft markets that have remained functioning for hundreds of years with skilled and talented craftsmen.

What to Expect
  • Visit Al Azhar Park
  • Watch a 10 minutes documentary about the tour
  • Ride on your electric car to start exploring the area of Al Darb Al Ahmar
  • Personalized attention of your tour guide
  • Enjoy visiting the monuments along the route of mosques mausoleums and sabils
  • See the Bab Zweila and the tent making bazaar

Departure & Return Location

John F.K. International Airport (Google Map)

Departure Time

3 Hours Before Flight Time

Price Includes

  • Air fares
  • 3 Nights Hotel Accomodation
  • Tour Guide
  • Entrance Fees
  • All transportation in destination location

Price Excludes

  • Guide Service Fee
  • Driver Service Fee
  • Any Private Expenses
  • Room Service Fees
Prices
One Person2-4 Persons5-7 Persons8-15 Persons
75555048
Itinerary

The Eastern Ayyubid Wall

The Eastern City Wall of Cairo wall was built in three different periods. – In the first period, it was built using mud bricks by the founder Gawhar Al Siqili, an army leader during the Fatimid Period in 358AH – 969AD. This part was completely demolished and the only remains are now seen in the Archeological Triangle area and at Bab-Al Tawfiq. – The second building campaign was by Badr Al Din Al Gamali, the minister of Fatimid Khalif Al Mostansir Bellah between (480-485 AH) (1087- 1092 AD). Remaining from this wall can only seen in Bab Al-Tawfiq with a foundation text dated to 480 AH. – In the third period, the City Wall was expanded during the reign of Salah-Al-Din Al-Ayyub, who developed his project to extend the Walls from the Citadel to Al-Fustat to surround the whole capital, between (569- 589 AH)(1171 – 1193 AD).

 

 

Khayer-Bek Complex

The complex was built by Prince Khayer-Bek in 908 AH / 1502 AD, who was one of the princes of Sultan Al-Ghuri. He played a major role in the political changes in Egypt and Syria, particularity when he cooperated with the Ottomans against his master the sultan Al Ghuri in the battle of Marj Dabek close to Aleppo. For this reason, Egyptians name him Khayn-bek (the traitor) after the incident. When the Ottomans conquered Egypt, they appointed him as an important official for five years until his death in 928 AH / 1521AD.

The Khayer-Bek complex consists of three main components: a madrassa (school) – a mausoleum (burial) – a sabil and its associated buildings. The main entrance of the madrassa is located right next to the sabil overlooking Bab Al Wazir. The madrassa consists of a rectangular vestibule divided into a central hall with two iwans, one on each side. In a central location of the qibla wall, there is a nicely t¨ curved mihrab. Next to the mihrab is the south western iwan from which opens a door that leads to the mausoleum. This mausoleum has another curved mihrab in front of which is a marble slab that marks the tomb of Khayer bek underneath it. As for the sabil, it is located on the left side of the main entrance. It is of the sabil types that have three windows and above the sabil is an Ottoman.

Asque (Blue Mosque)q Sunqur Mosque

The Blue Mosque was constructed in 747 AH / 1347 AD by Prince Shams Al -Din Aq Sunqur, a Mamluk of al-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qalawun. It is located at an equal distance between Bab Zuweila and the Citadel of Saladin. The mosque was refurbished by the Ottoman prince Ibrahim Agha El-Mostahfzan, who conducted an important restoration in the mosque. The mosque is also a funerary complex containing the mausoleums of its founder Shams al-Din Aq sunqur, his sons, a number of children of the Bahri Mamluk Sultan an-Nasir Muhammad and that of its principal restorer, Ibrahim Agha al-Mustahfizan.

The mosque has three entrances, the main one being its street portal opening into the western side; this side consists of a large pointed arch with corbels on the front edges of its roof. The first and the second entrance both overlook Bab Al-Wazir’s Street while the third entrance overlooks Darb Shaghlan’s street. The Blue Mosque also has a significant importance in both historical and archaeological terms because it combines the Mamluk architectural style with Ottoman decoration. It was named Blue Mosque because of the blue glazed ceramic tiles covering its walls.

Umm Al-Sultan Shaa’ban Mosque and Madrasa

This building is the only royal construction in Darb al-Ahmar. The Sultan Al-Ashraf Sha’ban Ibn Hussein Ibn Al-Nasir Mohamed Ibn Al-Mansour Qalawun commissioned the construction of this madrassa for his mother Khwand Baraka Khatoun Bent Abdullah and wife of Al-Amir Al-Amagad Hussein Ibn Al-Nasir Mohamed Ibn Qalaqun, who was the father of her son Al-Ashraf Sha’ban. Khwand Baraka was appreciated due to her contributions and donations, especially during her pilgrimage year in 770 AH (1368AD) to the extent that this year was known among the people by her name as Umm Al-Sultan (i.e. mother the sultan) year. In addition, she played a major role in the political life of the time and in consolidating her son’s, rule. She died in 774 AH (1372 AD).

The main facade of the school, which overlooks Tabana Street, is the first entrance to the building and to its right is a water basin for the animals. The minaret is the focal point of the building, which follows a four-iwan typology around an open-air courtyard. The qibla wall includes a marble mihrab. While the eastern larger dome was dedicated to the burial of Khwand Baraka and her daughter Khwand Zahra, the second smaller dome is dedicated to the burial of the male family members. In general, the madrasa of Umm Al- Sultan Shaban has great historical, architectural and artistic importance and can be considered one of the most beautiful places in Al-Darb al-Ahmar.

AlTanbugha Al-Maridani Mosque

The Mosque, located on the west side of Al-Tabbana Street,This mosque was built by Alā al-Dīn Altunbughā ibn Abdallah Altinbughā al-Mārīdanī who began his career as a khassaki (imperial guard) and cup-bearer of the ninth Bahri Mamluk Sultan al-Nāsir Muhammad ibn Qalāwūn . At first, Altunbughā al-Mārīdanī was appointed as amir of Ten. Later, he became amir tablakhāna and advanced quickly to become Amir of Hundred, then Amir of Thousand. He was one of the Amirs of Sultan Al-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qala’un and his son-in law. He started the construction in 1338-9 and finished it in 1340, under the supervision of the Mu’allim ibn Al-Suyufi, chief architect to Al-Nasir Muhammad. Altinbugha Al Maridani Mosque has survived almost 700 years since its construction thanks to the initial high quality of conception and workmanship of its Mamluk builders, but also due to a continuous use and good maintenance as a congregational mosque.

Architecture

The mosque plans resembles that of the mosque of Al-Nasir in the Citadel, for it consists of an open Sahn, surrounded by four Riwaqs, the Qibla having four rows of arches, whereas each of the other three has two only. It is one of the finest examples of Bahri Mamluk architecture in Cairo. The mosque contains a large number of high quality ornaments such as a beautifully carved wooden screen separating the Quibla Riwaq from the rest of the mosque, Monumental granite columns and capitals, reused from the Roman period, a Mihrab of colour marble with bands of thin tracery, inlaid with mother of pearl of the finest craftsmanship, ceilings painted and gilded with geometrical designs.

Al Khaimiya or Qasaba of Radwan

The Qasaba of Radwan Bek is considered as one of the historical commercial places in the Ottoman era. It was established in the 11th century AH / 17 AD by Prince Radwan Bek Al Faqqari, who was one of the most important officials throughout the 17th century and the Ottoman era. The place was one of the biggest markets in the city and some of its shops are still in place and in business until now. (1045-1047A.H/ 1635-1637A.D) (11th century A.H /17th century A.D)

Bab Zweila

Bab Zuwayla, built in 1092, is one of three remaining gates in the City Walls, marking the southern limit of the Fatimid City of Cairo. It was constructed by the powerful Fatimid vizier Badr al-Jamali, who ruled Egypt from 1074 to 1094. It has twin minarets, which can be accessed via a steep climb. Bab Zuwayla was constructed, along with Bab al-Futuh and Bab al-Nasr, during the Fatimid period. An Armenian himself, Badr al-Jamali is reported to have employed Armenians from northern Mesopotamia, as well as Syrians, in a vast building campaign, which he started shortly after he assumed power. This work marks the beginning of a newly cultivated taste for stone in Cairo

Map

Photos